Thursday, August 4, 2011

How to Do the Four Minute Workout

To start things off, I would like to apologize to my readers for not being able to post last week. I had several hindrances, both personal and professional, to cause writer’s block. In addition, trying to get a search engine to lead back to this blog is starting to bug me.

I’m happy to say that I had the time to post more than once a week last month and I hope that my passion for writing will continue to develop. I would appreciate some feedback on the topics I place on these pages mainly because, although there are several people who visit this site, I have absolutely no idea on what they think or what they would like me to write on. Anyway, this seems to be my last post on health care for the moment so I hope you would endure me for the next few minutes.

So now we go to how to improve output. First off, there is a baseline level of energy expenditure. Sedentary people use only 1500 cal/day while very active ones spend more than 3000 cal/day. The moderate ones, of course, would be in between.

Now let’s go hypothetical. A cup of rice would at least be 100 cal/serving and fried tocino would be 250 to 300 cal/serving. If you only have one serving of food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you would get about 1200 cal per day. However, we would be without snacks. Realistically, a Filipino usually has 4 to 5 meals a day. Considering that a can of regular soda would have at least 100 cal and a bag of potato chips go for at least 155 cal, you could easily breach the 1500 cal mark. This is the reason why a lot of people are getting fat.

Although most people would teach that aerobic exercises burn more calories than anaerobic ones, I would beg to disagree mainly because anaerobic exercises accrue an oxygen debt similar to aerobic exercises. However, they pay their dues long after the exercise has terminated. Aerobic exercises allow a person to pay off his oxygen debt during the exercise process. Some people argue that anaerobic exercises build muscle, add weight, and do not burn energy. This statement is a contradiction in itself. Any man of science knows the law of energy and matter conservation. You don’t build muscle from nothing. In addition, the process requires energy. Furthermore, muscles increase the maintenance cost of the body and burn more for nothing in the long run. The only thing they require for maintenance is exercise.

So, without further ado, here’s the Four-Minute Work-out as I understood from the video of Jim Saret and Tina Ryan. But before you start, don’t forget to limber up. Focus on your arms, neck, and waist. These are the things you normally don’t move a lot during the course of your day.

The first step is the plank position. This is a basic exercise taken from Pilates. You stay in this position for 30 seconds.

This is soon followed by squats. Ten repetitions will do.

You then go down on the floor again for ten push-ups. I found an instructional video here just in case the first video of this section wasn’t clear.

Now you stand up and do twenty lunges, one for each leg. Beginners can do what DJ Tina Ryan did in the above video. If you’ve done it long enough, the real lunge looks like this.

The last step is composed of ten crunches.

Now, if I remember correctly, Mr. Saret mentioned something about burning 400 cal per episode. Remember, you don’t need to pay and you don’t need to change clothes for this. You can do it on a long flight and even while it’s raining hard, without fear of catching a cold. Since your feet are firmly fixed on the floor at all times, there’s no impact. Beginners can do this once a day until you get used to it. I would recommend a maximum of three episodes a day, five days a week. Happy weight loss and weight management!

No comments:

Post a Comment